I will be working with stephanie for this project and we will be looking at men’s reactions to the threat of being called homosexual to their masculinity. We will be focusing on age groups 18-27, 28-37 and 38-50 and we will take ethnicity and religion into factor. We will be conducting interviews with photo elicitation.

We are curious to see the difference in reaction between the age groups towards the effect of homosexuality on their masculinity. We will ask them questions about the way homosexuality influences their own sense of masculinity (Whether or not being called ‘gay’ or mistaken for being gay offends their masculinity). Then we will show them photos of a wide range of men deviating from the heterosexual norm into the homosexual stereotype.

3 Responses to “project”

1.   biancaerriah Says:

Mohammed, this is a great topic! and it actually correlates with my project as well! Homosexuality within the community in this day and age seems to be a debatable topic. Some are for it; Some are against; and some honestly have no opinion on it. I think researching this topic would help bring informative information to those who lack the knowledge.
    My question is why did you guys stop at age 50? Was there a specific reason? or just to keep information more organized. I think going up to 65/ senior citizens would help get the difference in opinions better because being a homosexual was much more frowned upon rather than in our society when it isnt totally accepted but much more acceptable

2.   lila Says:

I think this is an interesting topic to work on and why I say that? I had a conversation with some friends on this topic not too long ago and we have a theory that if a “man” is confident with his manhood, he wouldn’t get offended when called gay or feel uncomfortable around homosexuals. If a heterosexual man is offended then they should be question about their sexuality?

3.   Antonia Says:

Great topic! And Bianca’s comment is right to the point: it would actually be great to contrast different age groups of men (i.e. generations) for this. For example, men 20-30 years old, 40-50, and then 60+. What do you think?
    I am looking forward to reading more.